25/05/2013

Google + #TheWayForward

I`ve been doing some research and found it very interesting. Partly I was doing it to write this post but mainly to help me with Google+ too.
There are a good many people like me who start a business online and think that`s it. Then reality sets in. You have to do so much more.
And this is what this and a few other articles I`ll be doing are about, giving a helping hand. I am NOT an expert by any means. Pretty much I`m like everyone else bumbling along learning a bit more each day. Except I can be stubborn! I want to know the why`s and wherefores of what to do with all these different social media applications.
I want to know if they`ll work for me. Is it worth me spending my time setting it all up and taking valuable time to learn about it all?

Well... after some research I have to say the answer for Google+ is a resounding YES!
I hadn`t really though about it before but an article pointed out how important Google searches are. Don`t we all want to be on page 1? Hasn`t that become the Holy Grail for all business? OF COURSE it has!!
So then it makes sense to have a Google+ page.
It works a bit like facebook.
You have a personal page and then set up a business page. What I do like about it that is totally different to facebook, is that you have `circles`. Think of circles as categories. Into these circles you can slot the different people in your life.
Acquaintances you`ve met on line. Family, Friends, people you want to Follow etc etc.
Now the best bit is... that when you post or share something it doesn`t have to go to everyone. You can choose what you share and with whom. Magic!
Found some good recipes you want to share with friends? Easy. Sharing family news you don`t want the world to know? Just tick to share with Family. Simples...
But now you are saying `if it`s like facebook why bother?`. Well if you have a business page on FB you`ll already have realised that you need to jump through hoops to get a fraction of your following to see the posts, even though they have ticked for it to go through their news feeds.
Google+ is easy to set up. Add pictures, a header, write a bit about yourself and make the page about who you are. Let`s face it, nowadays most of these things are so much easier to do than they were a few years ago.
My Google+ page. So when you have your Google+ identity then you can make a page for your business. Again it`s headers, pictures, talking about yourself and what you do.
Now I`ve only just started my business page and I`m learning as I go along. So as I learn more I will continue to share it with you and together we can build our brands with Google+.

Below I have added some basics from Google+ about getting started.
All basic stuff we`ve heard and seen before but can sometimes overlook.

Your Google+ page is your brand’s home on Google. Click “Create a Google+ page” below to get started, then add your company name and images to customize your page. Next, tell visitors more about your brand in the “About” section. Including a website and detailed description can help customers find you across Google.
Think of your Google+ page as your brand hub. Your page, along with your profile image and recent posts, is eligible to show on the right-hand side of our results when relevant to a customer’s search. Relevant posts can also show up within search results for your page’s followers.
First, create your Google+ page. Then start publishing regular, relevant posts to attract and engage followers. And be sure to add the Google+ badge to your site, to connect your Google+ page to your site and help you grow your following.
Share publicly
Posting fresh, public content regularly gives people more opportunities to interact when they want to engage with you. The more your followers engage with your posts, the stronger and wider your following will become.
Respond to posts
The best way to get your followers to engage with you? Engage with them, too! Think of your Google+ posts as a dialogue, not a monologue. Be sure to respond to followers’ comments, follow them back, and reshare relevant posts.
If you`ve been FB`ing you already do this but it`s easy to forget or get blase` about.

I hope you enjoyed this post and found it helpful. If you did please share for others.
Thank you for visiting.

4 comments:

  1. Really helpful post!! I love Google+ but I am so used to Facebook that I keep forgetting to use Google+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good Linda.
    On my "To Do List"
    Thanks for the info.
    Shirley x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never joined Google+ as it feels like it would be too much, too many online social media networks but what you say about it makes it sound useful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - I've been on Google+ a while now - its easy to set up and as you say if you do facebook Google+ is similar in many ways :-)

    ReplyDelete