30/04/2012

Craft Class for Corsage.

I`m a happy bunny today. Not only is it my birthday but I have managed to put blogger back to the old settings. Woo Hoo!! If only I could do that with Face Book....
I don`t know about you but I love birthdays. Christmas is nice but a birthday is your own special day and obviously it marks the day you were born. It`s not just about cards and presents, it`s that your family take a little time to make it special. And most of all..... it`s a whole new year spread out before you, full of promise and untold mystery. Kind of like a New Year just for you. That`s how I look at it anyway.

A birthday comes just once a year,
older and more wrinkly I fear.
Actually I don`t really mind
age is relative I find.
Sometimes I feel a hundred and one
then suddenly the feeling is gone.
I`m skipping about like a girl
stopping only for a twirl.
Yesterday I rode on a trolley
zooming up the aisle, by golly.
I was careful I must admit
and not a single soul got hit.
That supermarket was so drear
it needed moving up a gear.
It`s such great fun to set the pace
and whizz along in a race,
even though it`s just for you
it can stop you feeling blue.
Any age is time for fun
play time should never be done.
So celebration or not enjoy your day
be sure to take time for some play!

Today I am going to take you through something new I learnt whilst I was away. How to make beautiful corsages from Organza in a shabby chic kind of way.

SHOP NAME 1 SHOP NAME 2
The pack I had included two cardboard circles, one small and one large. Two colours of organza, one larger than the other, a square of felt, a brooch back and a back of assorted beads and sequins.
SHOP NAME 5 SHOP NAME 6
First the organza had to be torn into strips of about half an inch. We made a small cut into the end and then tore it along the length. This was done with both colours.
SHOP NAME 3 SHOP NAME 4
Next the largest amount of arganza was wound around the larger circle, making sure to cover the centre hole each time. This was done until it was a reasonable thickness. Once it was well covered a running stitch was sewn around the centre hole inside the cardboard. Once this was secure the outer edge of the circle was cut through.


SHOP NAME 1 SHOP NAME 2
This was then repeated with the smaller circle. As you can see, the colour doesn`t have to be just one, a layer of another colour can be introduced.
Once both the circles are completed, cut and removed from the cardboard they are sewn together.
SHOP NAME 3 SHOP NAME 4
The piece of felt is cut in a circle larger than the brooch back. The felt and brooch back are securely sewn together before then attaching them securely, again, to the back of the flower.
SHOP NAME 5 SHOP NAME 6
The thread can be the same as the felt or you could use invisible thread as long as it is firmly stitched, including some stitches going all the way through the flower.


SHOP NAME 1 SHOP NAME 2
The beads and sequins in the centre were glued with a PVA glue that becomes clear once dry. A few came loose once it was dry and shaken gently, but the rest remained firmly in place. If preferred the beads and sequins can be sewn into place.
SHOP NAME 3 SHOP NAME 4
Then finally we have the finished product. They can of course be made in any size you like, with any colour combinations.
They were great fun to make and look very pretty too. These photographs don`t really do them justice, taken as they were on such a dreary day.

Hope you enjoyed todays little craft class. I should probably have waited until I got more of the materials to show you each stage better, but I think you get the general idea of how it is done.
Thanks for visiting, please come back soon.

3 comments:

  1. really like them, very pretty! and have a very happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both very much. It`s been a great day.

    ReplyDelete