09/06/2011

My trials and tribulations #Handmade #Weebly

This blog is about the trials and tribulations of setting up a website.

I started the first one on a site that shall be nameless and it was so fiddly I gave up and deleted it.
Then I saw one mentioned on the Folksy forum, clicked on the link and thought `great, I could do that`! Hmmm.... Not that easy. I picked out a template and set to work, each session took ages, but it was getting there. So after weeks of work, a few hours here and there, I decided to add a shop. Easy right?? Well... Yes. It was easy but only if I spent a fair bit of money. Aaaagh!!
I was ready to tear my hair out.

So off I went and looked around. Then I discovered another link newly added for someone`s website on the forum. A click and that was it. Well actually not entirely. First I checked it all out to see how easy it was to use and also checked out the price when I upgraded and added a shop.
A good site, a good price and that really was it. I had found it..WEEBLY!!!

Now you have to bear in mind that at this time last year I had no idea what an URL was, never seen Facebook or Twitter or been on the internet much at all. In other words, although I am constantly learning new stuff, I am a novice still.

I started off merrily, easy to use, got on like a house on fire. Very rapidly ready for the shop. Upgraded and added it. Soon got the hang of it all and was whizzing through. Then I realised that I had a problem. Most of what I make are One of a Kinds, so I sell only one. I looked all over the place for something to add, couldn`t find anything. Frustrated and angry, with myself more than anything, I fired off an e-mail said it was rubbish and I wanted my money back.

NOT very nice of me... Not how I usually am, honest. Well... not in the last few years anyway.
They explained, very nicely and calmly, that I would need my own paypal buttons so I could regulate stock. Off I went to paypal and it all looked so complicated, I tried a few times and got frustrated and angry with myself. Another e-mail to the hapless Weebly folks. Then I went back to the buttons and looked at it again and suddenly it made sense.

Anyway to cut a long story short those folks were very calm and helpful in spite of me firing of unkind e-mails whenever I hit a problem. They offered my money back if I wasn`t happy and at one stage explained they were a small company not a big conglomerate and that was why I had to wait until the next day to get a reply.
Felt quite ashamed of myself then. Considered it and thought that a big company would probably have taken a week to get back to me. All in all they deserve a medal.
My new motto?
WEEBLY is TOPS!!!!

I tell you, if I can do it anyone can and probably without throwing tantrums too.
I did apologise and said I would do a blog once my second site went live and it was done the night before last and I published it. They deserve a bit of advertising after their patience and helpfulness.
If you are thinking of having your own website, I can`t recommend them highly enough.
As usual, to see a description or bigger picture, just click on the item to see it in the shop.
ENJOY!!

Great Green dreams went live the other night
I was so proud, it was a wonderful sight.
Uniquely Yours was first, my pride was immense
after all my work, it finally made sense.
I was sorry I had been a pain,
glad they helped again and again.
The site was great, the price was right
now it`s done I feel so light.
I did eat humble pie
nasty taste, without a lie.
I really don`t know enough
it makes it all very tough
but I`m learning really fast,
wish my ignorance was in the past.
Instead every day is a new adventure
in my still new crafty venture.
I`d like the sites to have a sale
don`t want this venture to fail.
I was far too impatient you see,
to watch the videos meant to help me.
I only read a little bit
I know, go on have a fit!
If only I`d prepared more,
after all that`s what it`s for.
To help the folk who don`t know much
to give help, advice and such.
But I did get there in the end
done from weekend to weekend.
Can`t believe it only took a week
now it`s your approval that I seek!!!



SHOP NAME 1 SHOP NAME 2
SHOP NAME 3
SHOP NAME 6


SHOP NAME 1 SHOP NAME 2
SHOP NAME 4
All the above are from GREAT GREEN DREAMS.
SHOP NAME 5

SHOP NAME 6

Hope you enjoyed today`s array of goodies. There are more being added to Uniquely Yours site regularly, once items are sold they will be removed.
If you like what you see it might be worth bookmarking the site and popping back. Comments and advice welcome.
Thanks for visiting, please come back soon.

3 comments:

  1. it looks great and def worth the effort.
    It's so easy to use and a great balance between (geat clear) pictures and text.
    I'm sure weebly understand and don't hold it against you.

    Lorna
    {Dab and a dash.}

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks fab linda i was on your site a few days ago but haven't seen the great green dreams one yet. you are so brave jumping into all this stuff!! I have hubs on hand for advice as he is more techie minded than me :)
    good luck with them both linda
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Linda, I am totally in awe. 16 months ago I could just about manage a post on a forum, and now also have twitter, facebook and a blog on blogger, but the wordpress one is very challenging to me and must admit I havent been near it for a week, I know those tantrum moments.
    OH did my website, and promised me a shop on it but I am STILL waiting for that, would love to do it all myself, but alas I do know my limitations.
    Again, well done to you.
    Lynda x

    ReplyDelete